Every year we ask Sponsors to write a letter to send with their gifts to their Sponsor Child. We wanted to take a moment to encourage you about how much this seemingly small gesture means to these kids. Not only does it help them get to know you, but it is often something they carry around with them as encouragement for days to come.
They love to share it with their friends and family. Not only that, but it encourages the RELATIONSHIP. It helps them engage with you regularly.
It can be hard to know what to write, though. With that in mind, we wanted to take a moment to give you some tips on how to write a meaningful letter to your Sponsor Child. A general guideline is to use this GREAT acronym to guide you.
- G — Greetings
- R — Remember something your sponsored child has said and build on it.
- E — Explain something about yourself or your world. This is where our letter-writing prompts come in.
- A — Ask your sponsored child a question. The letter-writing prompts work here too. Just turn them around.
- T — The end! Say your goodbyes. This is a great place to share a Bible verse or a word of encouragement.
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Childhood
- What activities did you enjoy as a child?
- Whom did you admire as you were growing up? Why?
- Did you grow up in church?
- How did you come to know Jesus?
- What was a challenge you had to overcome as a child or teenager?
- What was your favorite part of school?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Life Today
- What do you do at church, work, or school?
- What do you like most about your hometown?
- What are some interesting facts about your state, province, or region?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- How would you describe the sights, sounds, smells, or tastes of that holiday?
- What’s one of your favorite Bible stories or passages? Why?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Family
- What are your closest family members like?
- What happens when your extended family gets together?
- How has God been faithful to your family?
- What prayers has God answered in your family?
- What’s your favorite thing about your family?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Spiritual Life
- How has God recently answered your prayers?
- How have you sensed God’s leading at different points of your life?
- Who is your spiritual role model?
- How has God comforted you in trouble?
- What do you believe are some of God’s purposes for your life?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Sponsored Child
- What is your prayer for your sponsored child?
- How do you remember the child throughout the week or month?
- Why does this child matter to you?
- What have you recently learned about the child’s country?
- What do you hope the child will learn about God or spiritual life? This could be a truth or skill.
- What do you appreciate about this child?
- Comment on a recent letter, the child’s prayers for you, artwork in a letter, smile in the photo, or something else.
- What do you want your sponsored child to remember when facing discouragement?
- What concern of yours would you like your sponsored child to pray about?
- What do you think about the child’s latest letter or picture you received?
- How has being an OA sponsor changed you?